Items to Consider BEFORE Connecting Lodgix to Airbnb
- Lodgix will bill your credit card on file for 1% of every booking that originates from Airbnb, this is in addition to the Airbnb host service fee. This commission is calculated off only the nightly rate setup in Lodgix, before taxes and before the airbnb payout. Fees, taxes, etc are not utilized when calculating the 1% fee.
- Unlike our other channel integrations, Airbnb does NOT share guest credit card data with Lodgix. Lodgix will receive payout notifications when funds are released to the host by Airbnb. Payout amounts will be posted to the Lodgix invoice.
- All Airbnb payout amounts are reduced by the host service fee - which is generally 3-5% depending on the cancellation policy selected by the Host. The host service fee is calculated from the booking subtotal (before fees and taxes) and is automatically deducted from the payout to the Host.
- Lodgix cannot send taxes to Airbnb. Additionally, Airbnb supports just one fee, a "Cleaning Fee". The cleaning fee can only be a flat amount. Airbnb suggests using the cleaning fee as a "catch all" fee to include any other fees which might be normally assessed to the guest. NOTE: The cleaning fee is factored into the nightly rate on the search results page. The fee is divided by the length of stay, then added to the nightly rate. For example a 3 night stay at $200 per night, with a cleaning fee of $150, will display as $250 per night including the prorated cleaning fee.
- Airbnb SUPPORTS any automated last minute discounts setup in Lodgix. Note that these discounts are not very visible on the Airbnb quote. The nightly rate is simply updated, without alerting the guest that they are receiving a discount. Additionally, Airbnb only supports discounts up to 28 days. If a last minute discount is configured for 29 days or longer, it will not be sent to Airbnb.
- Airbnb SUPPORTS any automated length of stay discounts setup in Lodgix. These discounts will appear as a line item on the Airbnb quote, alerting the guest that they are receiving a length of stay discount. NOTE: Airbnb only accepts whole numbers for the discount percentage, and all figures are rounded down. For example, a length of stay discount of 8.75% would be rounded down to 8% when it is sent to Airbnb. NOTE: Fixed amount discounts are per night discounts, not per stay. Airbnb does not allow for per stay, fixed amount discounts.
- Airbnb DOES NOT SUPPORT any promotion discounts setup in Lodgix. Only last minute or length of stay discounts are sent to Airbnb.
- Airbnb will collect sales and use tax in many areas. To check whether your area is supported, please read this article at Airbnb.
- Full availability is synced between the two platforms. NO ICAL IMPORTING OR EXPORTING IS NEEDED WHEN USING OUR AIRBNB INTEGRATION.
- Invoices created on Lodgix from Airbnb bookings will not always match the Airbnb invoice. It should be close in most instances, but some tweaks to your business model may be required to get the invoices to match.
New to Airbnb? Please go to Airbnb and sign up for a new account.
First create an Airbnb account. Then connect your Airbnb account to your Lodgix account. Finally, use your Lodgix listings to create new Airbnb listings.
An existing Airbnb user? Please connect your existing Airbnb account to Lodgix. Once connected you will map your Lodgix listings to your existing Airbnb listings.
It is important to note that Airbnb ALWAYS creates new listings for every property. However, these new listings are not live and they are not published. When the new listings are mapped to existing listings within Airbnb, the new listing then disappears. If a new listing does not have an existing Airbnb property to map to, then it can be published and made live on Airbnb.
Access to the Airbnb integration must be requested from Settings > Integrations > Airbnb. Once you are approved the connection can be established with Airbnb.
Connect with Airbnb
Once approval is granted, the connection process must be initiated through Lodgix by clicking the “Connect with Airbnb” button within Lodgix at Settings > Channel Management >Integrations > Airbnb. Note that a certified phone number is required at Airbnb to connect the accounts.
Sign in to Airbnb using your email address and Airbnb password
Allow the connection between Lodgix and Airbnb
Configure the Airbnb Integrations Page within Lodgix
Once the connection is allowed the Airbnb Integrations page in Lodgix must be configured. This can be found at Settings > Channel Management >Integrations > Airbnb. The various options are explained below...
- Lodgix will timestamp the day the feed was enabled.
- Rate/Rules Export Period: Choose how far in advance you want to export your rates. Note: If you have the Rates/Rules Export period set to 12 months or less, anything beyond 12 months will be blocked and not bookable on Airbnb. That is the best option. If you choose the 18 month option, ALL dates will be bookable. Lodgix however will only send rate / rule data for the first 18 months. Booking will be allowed for any date, however if the reservation is 18 months or greater in the future, the default rate will be used which could be significantly different than the actual rate you might have in place for that period of time.
- Booking Lead Time: Sets how far in advance of the check in time bookings will be allowed. This can be set to any time period between 1-24 hours, as well as 48, 72, or 168 hours.
- Allow Request to Book
- Fetch Inquiries: This must be set to "Yes" to manage Airbnb messages through the Inquiries Component of Lodgix.
- Damage Protection Fee: Only matters if using the Lodgix damage protection products.
- Management Fee: Management fees can be added to each property integrated with Airbnb. These fees can be added to either the nightly rates or the cleaning fee when displayed on Airbnb. Either way, the fee will get passed back to Lodgix from Airbnb as a line item in the invoice.
- Enter your Airbnb house rules
- Set your Airbnb cancellation policy.
- Instant Booking: Select the guest qualifications for allowing Instant Book. Options are Everyone, Experienced Guest, Verified ID, Experienced and Verified ID.
- Rate Multiplier: You can raise the rates set in Lodgix for your listings on Airbnb. For example a rate multiplier of 1.10 will increase your rates by 10% for your Airbnb listings. The original rate set in Lodgix will still be used for all other channels.
- You can elect to set a base number of guests included in the rate, and then charge per person for additional guests beyond that number.
- Cleaning Fee: Airbnb allows one fee to be used beyond the rates you have setup for your properties. That fee can be set here. If you are using the Lodgix damage protection products, this fee will be added to any cleaning fee you set.
- Management Fee: See #7 above.
- Use Marketing Title: Select whether to use your property name or property marketing title as the title on Airbnb
- Status: This will show you the status of your Airbnb listing. Once it is "Created - Approved" your listing is all set.
- Create / Update button: Use this button to create the listings or sync to an existing listing on Airbnb
Airbnb cancellation policies are unrelated to Lodgix cancellation policies and are noted below. BEFORE USING AIRBNB PLEASE REVIEW THE AIRBNB CANCELLATION POLICIES CLOSELY as they are very very different than our other channel partners and also very different from the way most are accustomed to when renting a vacation rental.
Update on Airbnb's super strict cancellation policies Airbnb is changing the requirements for accessing the Super Strict 30 Days and Super Strict 60 Days cancellation policies. These changes may affect your listings in the future when adding a new listing or updating an existing listing.
Hosts are able to select the super strict cancellation policies only if they have successfully completed the following two-step verification process:
- Have verified their business account. Hosts can do so here; and
- Have verified their identity as a representative of the business. Hosts can do so here
If you update a listing using one of these cancellation policies for a host who has not completed the verification process, you will receive the following error: “You are not yet eligible to apply a Super Strict cancellation policy. To apply a Super Strict policy, please complete business verification (https://www.airbnb.com/hosting?bavi=1) and identity verification (https://www.airbnb.com/account-verification/).”
Create New or Link to Existing Listings on Airbnb
Scroll to the far right of the Airbnb integrations page and click the "Create" button for each property that you want to integrate with Airbnb.
- Create new Airbnb listing. A new listing will be created on Airbnb from the selected Lodgix property data.
- Link to existing Airbnb listing. If selected, a list of available Airbnb listings will be displayed. Choose an existing Airbnb listing to link with your Lodgix property.
Note: if an error occurs, take careful note of the error, make the necessary corrections, return to the Lodgix Airbnb integration page and click on the "Update" button.
Once you have created (or connected) your Airbnb listings, click on the "Go to Airbnb Sync Page" button on the Airbnb integrations page within Lodgix. This will take you to Airbnb where you can view the status of your new or linked listings.
Airbnb provides the following list of amenities which we've mapped to Lodgix amenities automatically:
'Internet - Hi Speed': 'internet',
'Internet - Wireless': 'wireless_internet',
'Towels Provided': 'essentials',
'Linens Provided': 'essentials',
'Air Conditioning': 'ac',
'Washing Machine': 'washer',
'Clothes Dryer': 'dryer',
'Satellite / Cable': 'cable',
'Breakfast Included In Price': 'breakfast',
'Theme Family': 'family_friendly',
'Wheelchair Accessible': 'wheelchair_accessible',
'Communal Pool': 'pool',
'Heated Pool': 'pool',
'Private Pool': 'pool',
'Fitness Center': 'gym',
'Iron and Board': 'iron',
'Hair Dryer': 'hair-dryer'
Listing Review Process
All Airbnb listings being managed via Lodgix must meet a minimum set of criteria prior to being live on Airbnb. The process of evaluating a new listing at Airbnb is pretty much real-time and should take just a few minutes. You will be notified via email once your listings are live on the platform. If your listings were rejected, you will have an opportunity to modify the content and resubmit. As soon as your listings are approved, they will begin appearing in search results on airbnb.com.
Airbnb Listing Minimum Requirements
Airbnb expects their Channel-connected listings to meet a set of minimum content requirements, including:
- Minimum 8 characters in Listing Title
- Minimum 50 characters in Listing Description
- Minimum 70 days available with the next 365 days
- 7 or more images (there is a limit of 110 images per listing)
- At least 3 photos have a minimum resolution of 1024 x 683 pixels @ 72 dpi
- 5 or more amenities
Airbnb does not allow hosts to connect via Lodgix in select urban destinations. For more information on the minimum listing requirements or regional restrictions, please contact your Market Manager.
Instant Book, Request to Book and Channel-Connected Listings
All channel-connected listings are automatically enabled for “Instant Book.” There is no way to turn this off as it is a requirement of the Airbnb API. This means that a guest reservation inquiry will be instantly confirmed as long as your listing calendar shows availability. Airbnb listings enabled for Instant Book convert at a rate almost 2x higher than a listing that requires hosts to confirm a reservation. It also boosts your performance in the Airbnb search ranking.
If for any reason you are uncomfortable with your guest, or they violate your host rules, you may cancel your reservation without penalty. Please reach out to your Market Managers for support or questions regarding Instant Booking reservations.
Request to Book is NOT supported. Airbnb allows Instant Book only when using the integration. Request to Book will only be utilized when it is a) enabled and b) when the instant book window has closed or guest qualifications for instant book have not been met.
Once an Airbnb booking is confirmed, a guest will be able to view the property address, check-in instructions, and House Manual on the Airbnb platform. Airbnb will also provide you with the guest’s phone number details, and share your preferred phone number with the guest to facilitate better communication before and during your trip.
Airbnb generates a platform-specific email alias for each user that can be emailed directly. This means you can communicate to guests without logging into the Airbnb platform. This email address expires 2 weeks (14 days) after a trip is complete.
Excluding Airbnb Reservations from Lodgix Triggers
Because Airbnb does not share guest credit card data and instead collects guest payments themselves, Lodgix invoicing and guest communications can be distrupted. It will be important for users of the Airbnb integration to exclude Airbnb reservations from many of their normal guest communication processes, especially those emails related to payment due remainders, etc..
Please make sure to add an exception to all triggers in Lodgix in which you do not wish Airbnb guests to receive those emails.
Smart pricing must be turned off within your Airbnb listing. Failure to disable smart pricing will fail to sync the rates setup in Lodgix with your Airbnb listing.
City registrations are sometimes required in areas where the municipality is mandating that all VR managers / owners register their property and display the license id on all listing sites. If this applies, the registration code must be entered from within the Airbnb dashboard for each property.
Airbnb Standard Fees
When a Lodgix account is integrated with Airbnb, the only fee that is allowed through the integration is one catchall "cleaning fee". This fee is set for each property on the Airbnb integration page and is noted as a separate line item from the nightly rate when the guest is checking out on Airbnb.
Airbnb also allows listings to include Standard Fees. These fees can be itemized separately on the admin back end, to be more in line with a property managers pricing structure. However, the fees are not itemized for the guest, they are simply added to the nightly rate for the property. The guest never sees the fees, only a higher nightly rate. Standard Fees are available when listing directly with Airbnb, but are NOT SUPPORTED by the Lodgix integration.
Airbnb Service Fees
Airbnb has an option (see above) to allow the property manager to include the entire Airbnb service fee (host + guest) included in the host fee. This is a setting that is set at Airbnb. It will increase your Airbnb host fee by 10-11%. To compensate for that, many will use the rate multiplier feature that Lodgix offers and increase the rates they pass to Airbnb by 10-11%. This can be done by setting your rate multiplier to 1.10 or 1.11 within Lodgix for each property.
Disconnecting Lodgix from Airbnb
Once you've connected Lodgix to Airbnb that connection can only be turned off within Airbnb.
- Login to your Airbnb account
- Navigate to your Hosting Dashboard > then to Listings > then to Lodgix Sync
- Click on the Already Published link
- Next to each property that is connected to Lodgix, to the far right, are three dots, click on them and choose the "Stop Sync" option, this must be done for each property.
Alternatively, go here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/sync and Stop Syncing any listing you wish to disconnect from Lodgix.
After the listing has been unlinked, you must go to this page: https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/listings
On the right menu, click Edit. Then on the bottom of the page, it should say "Listing Status: Listed". If listing is unlinked, then the "Edit" button next to this will not be disabled. Click on Edit and on the next page click the "Permanently deactivate listing" link (or change status to unlisted). After answering a question, it should be deactivated.
Airbnb Invoice Changes
Help! My Airbnb reservation doesn't match my Lodgix invoice after the dates of the reservation have been changed. (or the assigned property has changed).
Airbnb requires that any changes to the guest reservation must be done AT AIRBNB. The guest must accept the reservation change at Airbnb. Once accepted by the guest, Airbnb will notify Lodgix of the change and the invoice will adjust on Lodgix.
It is not possible to edit the dates (or reassign to a different property) of an Airbnb invoice on Lodgix for this reason. When the guest accepts the change and Airbnb then reaches out to Lodgix to update the guest invoice, if the dates for the selected change are not available, then and error will be generated and the update will not be accepted at Airbnb.
The dates will be need to be cleared on Lodgix, and the reservation change request made again at Airbnb. Once the guest accepts the reservation change request, Airbnb will again attempt to update Lodgix with the changes. The changes should then go through and the Lodgix invoice will update to accurately reflect the change on Airbnb.